Tuesday 26 June 2012

I can't shake it


Dave T and Sam chillin


So this morning I got up, took the dog out, flipped on the T.V., and walked over to make the coffee as usual.

As usual, I didn't pay attention to what was on the T.V. It was some sort of documentary on dogs. I like dogs, I have a dog...so I left it. I usually don't change the channel until after the coffee is made.

So I'm making coffee and I hear them talking about shelters. I hear dogs fussing in the background and thought nothing of it. Dogs fuss at shelters...this is normal.

I turn around to see a bunch of dogs in a big metal box that looked sort of like a chest freezer, some guy closing the lid, and another guy turning a dial on a canister of gas.

I start cluing in.

All of the sudden the dogs in the box start howling and whining.

They're being gassed to death.

And I'm watching it.

I can't handle this.

I'm not one of those people who needs to be shown how important animal rights are. Every fucking animal I've owned has been a rescue. Every animal I have owned has been spayed and neutered.

I GET IT. I TOTALLY BELIEVE IT IN IT.

I'm also a highly sensitive person going through some very real shit right now and hearing animals suffering and dying is not something I can handle. This is something that is traumatic for me.

I dashed over trying to change the channel and I was so upset I was fumbling and couldn't get it to change right away.

I'm now sobbing listening to this box of dogs die.

I finally changed the channel but I just can't shake it.

I'm not writing this to say they shouldn't have shown that. People NEED to be responsible pet owners and NEED to know what happens to the animals that are not cared for responsibly.

The sad part is that the people who need to see this shit probably won't see it or most likely won't get it. If you don't care about animal overpopulation or responsible pet ownership, you're probably not going to care about a box of dogs in a mini gas chamber being killed.

I have no answer.

I just know I really did not need to see that this morning and now I can't shake how upset it's made me.

1 comment:

  1. :( Virtua-hug. that's an awful way to start the day.

    ...Cath

    ReplyDelete